SS4A
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for artists to hang out.

HomeHome  About Us  Rules  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Update on status of SS4A.
Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 Emptyby Kynale Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:01 pm

» Secret Santa Exchange 2015
Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 Emptyby Selini Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 am

» 3 More Days!
Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 Emptyby Kynale Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:44 pm

» Monthly Art Challenges!
Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 Emptyby Kynale Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:52 am

» Secret Santa Participants 2015 (Post here to be added!)
Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 Emptyby SpiffyChicken Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:52 pm

» Random Images
Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 Emptyby sky665 Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Monthly Art Challenges!

Go down 
+9
Moesph
thewishbunny
Mlen
Mashimizu
Selini
Kynale
aaawhyme
sky665
Duskglass
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Duskglass

Duskglass

Art Gallery : tumblr artblog

Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 8:54 pm

I was thinking, in addition to the three challenges, that we could also have a monthly 'artist workout' prompt-- like the 'draw 100 ______', character expression meme, speedpaints, or a 30-day theme challenge where every day you pick a theme and sketch something based on that theme. But that might be better off as its own thread. (I sort of think of it like, the challenges encourage you to put a lot of effort into a single illustration, while the workouts would emphasize creating a large volume of rough practise work. Both encourage you to step outside your comfort zone and help you improve, but using different methods.)

What do you guys think? :>
Back to top Go down
Kynale

Art Gallery : DeviantArt

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 9:57 pm

I like that idea. I was going to say you could keep that in this thread too, but then I thought about it and I guess having a separate one wouldn't be a bad idea. Since those workout type challenges see to involve a larger volume of work, people could keep posting their progress as they go along. Then it wouldn't clutter up this challenge thread. I'd be fine either way though. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mlen

Mlen

Art Gallery : DA page (It's a bit out of date, but I am updating now)
Current examples:
Chibis: o o o
Regular: o o

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Wooo~ Totally doing this! And I agree about the limited palette challenge! (I cannot wait for a favorite scent one too! That will be fun~~~)
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Yeah, that was my main concern with putting them together. xD
We can always link the two threads to each other, too.

Edit:
Okay, I went ahead and made a workout thread!
I'm thinking of starting off easy, with a simple free-for-all 'draw every day' prompt. But if that's too easy I can use one of the other ones I have saved! :> (I pretty much do that anyway but I get the feeling most people on here don't, from the number of 'I need to draw more!' comments I've seen.)
Back to top Go down
thewishbunny

thewishbunny

Art Gallery : thewishbunny.deviantart.com
thewishbunny.tumblr.com

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 9:10 am

Ah, I know one, not sure how it will pan out...

Artist workout would beeee figure drawing in a sense--more like gesture drawing or take it as like pose workouts.

For anyone who is iffy about seeing nude models, it's better not to click these links!
There are some sites that offer posed models to aid people in figure drawing:
Spoiler:
While nothing beats a model in real time, these are fine tools for getting used to poses or quick references for just gesturing.

There's also: http://senshistock.deviantart.com
SenshiStock has great poses that I use for quick gesturing or sustained pose laying out for the practice.

The workout could be like...spend 1min per pose and do a total of 25 or like spend 30 seconds and do a total of 50.

---x---

OH OH, one I always hate doing LOL
FACE ANGLES -n-;
Especially head-on looking up or down.

another edit XDD
-Blind drawing (something I absolutely hate)
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 pm

I already had figure drawing on my list for future workouts but I added in your links! (If anyone else has good links to stock photos for figure drawing, feel free to send those too!)
Side note about nudity: Pixelovely has an option to exclude nude models, for anyone who would be uncomfortable with that. (And neither link contains nudity right on the front page, in case you're not sure.)
Additionally, Pixelovely has an animal-drawing tool! it could be fun to have an animal-drawing gesture workout in addition to a human one.

The face angles one is also good!
Back to top Go down
Kynale

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 11:31 pm

Ooh, I like the gesture drawing idea. One with animals could be great, too!

I think it is fine to start off with a simple "draw every day" challenge, but I'm curious. Does this mean a finished piece every day? Or just a sketch? Or just... anything at all? Would working on the same piece once a day count?
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 5:52 am

it can be anything, even a super-quick or messy sketch, and it doesn't need to even be complete, but the idea was something new every day. (so working on one picture for several days in a row wouldn't count.) I'll be sure to clarify in the post. C:
(the way I see it, workouts are quantity>quality; they're practise drawings that will help you improve in the long run, though on their own they're probably not going to be very impressive.)

ALSO: updated the first post with February's challenges! I'll get the workout and some suggestions for the palette challenge up in the next couple days.
Back to top Go down
Kynale

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Yay for February's challenges!

I'll be honest, I was hoping that the colour palette challenge would be to a set palette because I'd find it interesting to see what different people could come up with using the same palette. Also it might force people to use colours they might not have normally. Maybe another time, hehe.

This way is good too. It can be a challenge for some just to limit their palette to 5 colours. And fun either way! I think I'm going to wait for you to post the suggested palettes though. =)

The other ones should be fun to try as well! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 6:48 pm

Yeah, I'm planning to add in a couple palettes, but I wanted to leave it open! (Just in case someone uses the set palettes all the time or something. xD But perhaps I'll recommend using the set? And I feel like palettes challenge will be returning either way; this type of challenge tends to be pretty popular.)
Back to top Go down
Selini

Selini

Art Gallery : dA, tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 1:16 am

These are awesome, can't wait to get started. =) I've never done a limited color palette before. ^^

Also, thought I'd drop some more reference sites for gestures and poses.

Not sure if anyone mentioned Posemaniacs yet? Not technically nudity, but it does show the body without its skin, so you can see what the muscles are doing underneath. If you look for poses with a v in front of them you can find a lot of high and low angle poses. Might help for the challenge.

I also like using characterdesigns.com. There is nudity here though. But they have clothed sets too. They have quite the variety and good angles for foreshortening. Also many with high contrast lighting (if you ever want to practice shading on the body).
Back to top Go down
Kynale

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Nice, thanks for the links! I already use Posemaniacs quite a bit, but I hadn't heard of the other one. They've got some very nice stock photos on there. I really like the dramatic lighting ones. Smile
Back to top Go down
Moesph

Moesph

Art Gallery : Art Blog | DeviantART

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 12:45 pm

Oh I can't wait to start these challenges, and so many fantastic ideas too!

I'll wait for the suggested palette also, as I would like to see how different people go about making use of it, and I easily fall into the trap of selecting colours that are relevant to my setting hehe.

I was actually already working on a genderbent piece, and it really does get you thinking about what would change and why.
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 6:01 pm

I think genderbends are really interesting! Though it irks me when people don't do it properly and use it as an excuse to draw a normal-looking male character as a stripperiffic Escher Girl. >:| (Or alternatively, when it looks like exactly the same character with a slight difference in curvyness, because that's just boring.)

On another note, how many suggested palettes is a good number? (I'm thinking 3 or 4...?)
Back to top Go down
Moesph

Moesph

Art Gallery : Art Blog | DeviantART

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 pm

The problem I came across was how to draw the face in a way that they might at least look related if not the same person.
I perhaps chose a boring character to try this on though, when they are restricted to a uniform outfit, it then becomes how it differs between the genders and how the other would choose to wear it, whilst taking into account their personality.

Also, 3 is a good starting point.
Back to top Go down
Kynale

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 11:25 pm

I'm still trying to think of a good character to use for the genderbending challenge. There are a lot of possibilities for that one...

And I agree, 3 or so sounds like a good number for the palettes. Smile
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 2:57 am

Updated with suggested palettes! U:
Back to top Go down
aaawhyme

aaawhyme

Art Gallery : DA
3dBrooke
Facebook
Tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 7:36 pm

so when we're done with the picture(s) of this month challenges, we post them in this thread, right?

(edit) also, do the entire page have to be filled in? Or can we just put a lot of effort into a headshot, and make it png?
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Yes, that was the idea! C: (It's not required obviously but I'm sure everyone would like to see what everyone else has done.)
Back to top Go down
coy51

Art Gallery : http://51coy51.deviantart.com/gallery/

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 5:46 pm

So whats this month's challenge? Very Happy
or next month's, maybe a little late for this month Razz
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Art Gallery : Deviantart Gallery | Webcomic

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 6:16 pm

I think this thread has suffered a bit from a critical affliction of Being Forgotten XD;; BUT PERHAPS IT IS NOT TOO LATE FOR A RESURRECTION. Time to pick a new challenge, maybe?
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 10:23 pm

well, no one did the ones I had posted; was that due to forgottenness or disinterest? If people are still interested in doing those ones but just forgot about it I will leave them up and change the date; if not I can dig up some new ones. (But I remember a lot of people seemed into the ones I picked when we were tossing around ideas?)

I didn't completely forget this thread myself, but I didn't see a point in posting new ones every month if no one was doing them. xD;;;
Back to top Go down
Kynale

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 11:16 pm

For me it wasn't forgetfulness or disinterest; it was just that the thread sadly went up during a very busy time for me. I actually started one of the challenges but got too caught up in schoolwork. I felt really sad about that because all of them are fantastic, and I still do plan on finishing what I started. Even if the deadline is long passed. xD; (I just finished school and most likely am graduating, soooo I should have more free time if all goes well? I hope!)

Also, I hope she doesn't mind me saying this, but Selini showed me some sketches she had for one of the challenges which were fantastic. I think she just became very busy as well. We were talking about this thread though and how we didn't want it to die...

Just wanted to let you know it wasn't forgotten though, and it would be cool if we could revive this and give it another go. Like I said I still plan on finishing at least one of those challenges eventually, but if you want to try new ones that would be cool too. (I don't think it should be a problem if people still want to try old ones after the new ones have been posted, right?)

Back to top Go down
coy51

Art Gallery : http://51coy51.deviantart.com/gallery/

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 12:44 am

For me it was because... well i just found this thread XP
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 3:35 am

Ok, how about we keep the current ones through may, then plan to post new ones in june? I'd love for you guys to have time to finish and post yours; I can't wait to see them!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monthly Art Challenges!   Monthly Art Challenges! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Monthly Art Challenges!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SS4A :: Discussion :: Art Central-
Jump to: