SS4A
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for artists to hang out.

HomeHome  About Us  Rules  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Update on status of SS4A.
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Emptyby Kynale Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:01 pm

» Secret Santa Exchange 2015
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Emptyby Selini Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 am

» 3 More Days!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Emptyby Kynale Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:44 pm

» Monthly Art Challenges!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Emptyby Kynale Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:52 am

» Secret Santa Participants 2015 (Post here to be added!)
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Emptyby SpiffyChicken Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:52 pm

» Random Images
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Emptyby sky665 Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs

Go down 
+11
coy51
Mashimizu
sky665
Mlen
thewishbunny
varethane
Duskglass
pompon-chan
aaawhyme
Selini
Kynale
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Duskglass

Duskglass

Art Gallery : tumblr artblog

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptyThu May 23, 2013 4:56 am

ahhh, thank you! I really enjoy design stuff.

I doodled this sorta turnaroundish thing in class. Mal is crazy fun to draw (and 18th century menswear <3 )
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Mal_costume1_by_phantomteacup-d6692qp

also that robot arm is awesome!
Back to top Go down
TopSpinTheFuzzy

TopSpinTheFuzzy

Art Gallery : http://topspinthefuzzy.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TopSpinTheFuzzy

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptySat May 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Spindles
Holy christ something I might actually finish.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptySun May 26, 2013 5:28 am

woo! 8DDD can't wait to see it!

oh, here's a fun thing; I was discussing working sizes with Varethane, and I took some photographs of the Mal picture because it's ridiculously tiny:
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Falseking_size_by_phantomteacup-d66m117
(that is the brush pen I use to ink everything, lying on the sketchbook.)

here's some costume sketches I did of Warrick and Selva Chopper from Namesake:
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Tumblr_mnc1zl3h5I1rcsmslo1_1280
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Tumblr_mnc1zl3h5I1rcsmslo2_500Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Tumblr_mnc1zl3h5I1rcsmslo3_1280
I want to make Warrick's coat and it helps me pattern things if I sketch them out first, especially when the original art is more stylised and may not take into account things like seam placement. Also I really like drawing fancy coats!
Back to top Go down
TopSpinTheFuzzy

TopSpinTheFuzzy

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptySun May 26, 2013 4:46 pm

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT PEN IT IS BEAUTIFUL.
Also I love the pose in the first one. And the outfit.
Just...unf.

ALSO PROGRESS ON THAT PICTURE.

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Wip
Not sure what I'm doing with the background.
I'm thinking just like... a city street.
The light source behind him is going to be an explosion/fire
And the blue lighting is just like.. general, ambient lighting. WHAT DO?
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptySun May 26, 2013 8:37 pm

That is the Pentel Pocket Brush Pen for Calligraphy, and it is magic. (You can buy it at the link but I recommend looking around your local art stores first because online art stores charge ridiculous shipping.)

I love the contrast of the bright gold rim lighting!
A city street would work for the background, or you could probably get away with leaving it vague and swishy if you decide you're not in the mood for a detailed scene-- but with ambient light make sure you still have a source and it's not completely random... like where is it reflecting from? it may be coming from more than one direction (ie if it's twilight and the blue is coming from the sky it would be mostly from above, but it might be reflecting off the ground/buildings/other scenery). You can get away with being somewhat vague as long as it mostly makes sense, since your primary source is so strong. C:
Back to top Go down
TopSpinTheFuzzy

TopSpinTheFuzzy

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptySun May 26, 2013 8:57 pm

As I expanded on the picture some more, I think I'm just gonna get rid of the ambient light altogether...

ANYWAYS:

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Wip2
Also I was thinking about making something up for this dude for the Introduce your Characters thread and then eventually for the Character Q&A game...
But Idunno. :C
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 2:01 am

Ooh yes, you should! :DDD I'd love to hear more about him.

I threw some quick colours on this to use as a ref:
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Mal_refs_by_phantomteacup-d66pknk
Back to top Go down
TopSpinTheFuzzy

TopSpinTheFuzzy

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 5:30 am

I just.
I can't shade his nose. Dx

ANYWAY:
Just doodled this.
Probably gonna colour it tomorrow, and use it as my profile picture somewhere or something I don't know.
But I like it.

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Jephdoodle
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 6:22 pm

The previous picture, you mean? His nose shading looks fine to me there... If you post a more recent wip I'd be happy to offer crits. (Noses can be quite tricksy!)
Back to top Go down
TopSpinTheFuzzy

TopSpinTheFuzzy

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Duskglass wrote:
The previous picture, you mean? His nose shading looks fine to me there... If you post a more recent wip I'd be happy to offer crits. (Noses can be quite tricksy!)
Tricksy hobbitses, yes.

But, yeah. I may have deleted my most recent attempt at shading it, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately I don't have my laptop with me either (I'm hijacking a work computer :O) so I'll post it later.

IS GOOD? Very Happy

Edit:

Also!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Spindles
Back to top Go down
coy51

Art Gallery : http://51coy51.deviantart.com/gallery/

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 02, 2013 2:52 am

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Scorpi10
i took a while off of this drawing, but im getting back to it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 2:17 am

sorry for the late reply!

Firstly, the skintones you picked look too pale and pink to me, given your light source and overall palette. When you've got crazy dramatic light source, it alters the way colours show up-- they won't appear the same as in a neutral light (colour is only reflected light, so if a certain colour isn't present in the light source it won't show up on the object). Since you've got the explosion as your dominant light source, the highlights should be firey tones. and speaking of light sources, he's essentially backlit here, so the shading on the nose should reflect that.

I'll also throw this out there, because it's something that took me forever to learn: be very wary of overblending, especially as you get into working at print resolutions. If you blend too much, when you shrink the image down for web, it won't read as well. And especially when you're working with a dramatic/harsh light source, you want the edges of shadows to be sharp. (compare shadows on the same object on a cloudy day vs a sunny one-- direct light makes for sharp shadows, while diffuse light will create softer shadows.)

I also find it helpful to slap down some base tones before moving into the shading and details. that way you get a sense for the overall palette and tonal ranges before you sink hours into painting.

....anyway, I did a quick speedpaint using your palette and light source:
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Fireface_by_phantomteacup-d68c4xr
not perfect, but this is how I'd approach it. (if it were me, I'd add the colours last, on a very subtle blendmode, or I might just leave it here-- dramatic lighting is most effective when you let go of ordinary/'true' colours, and let the lighting take over. I personally find it a lot of fun to play with... this one is probably one of the best examples in my own work, though I do this to some extent in nearly everything I make.)
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 5:46 am

thingseses!

this one is a test for a minicomic project I'm doing (fcp anthology). I'm still not sure what I want to go with in terms of style so I noodled around a bit and came up with this!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Tumblr_mo6amxjIcc1rcsmslo1_500

FM doodles:

I also tossed some quick digital colours on a couple Alizaron sketches-- may or may not continue either of these!Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Tumblr_moj51u5lO31rcsmslo1_1280Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Tumblr_mol52fbGzo1rcsmslo1_r1_1280
...guess I've been in one of those draw-creepy-things moods lately? (and some bonus sketches of Lin's feet here, if that wasn't enough creeps for one post.)
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Art Gallery : Deviantart Gallery | Webcomic

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 9:06 am

:B

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Tumblr_mo48rhbwql1qhr58bo1_500

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Tumblr_mobckwGweG1qhr58bo1_500
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 3:49 am

currently working on this thing!Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Stridersiblings_wip_by_phantomteacup-d6a932j
(I really like dragon-type creatures that are like big kitties ;3; )
Back to top Go down
TopSpinTheFuzzy

TopSpinTheFuzzy

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptySun Jun 23, 2013 11:31 pm

Oh hey I'm doing a comic here's some art of a few of the characters so far lolololol

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 485382
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Doodledump
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 485383

OH ALSO THIS I GUESS IDUNNO

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Sketchsofar
Back to top Go down
aaawhyme

aaawhyme

Art Gallery : DA
3dBrooke
Facebook
Tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 3:55 am

well i'm making a thing... or trying to and i need fellow artist opinions!

can you guys understand this picture composition? do you know how I can make it better? or how I can make the grayscaled painting more sharp? do I start working on details at this point in the painting? somebody please halp. what do YOU see in this picture? I'm mainly just trying to get the idea portrayed right, but i don't know how to do dissss. do i start making this painting sharper now? or keep blocking out? watt
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 7:33 am

hmm, I think it would help if you blocked in the light and shadows, working just in solid shapes with a nice hard-edged brush. I feel like you jumped too quickly into the textured brush, without a solid groundwork laid down. (once you get the basic gesture of the scene blocked in, then you can start adding quick detail with textured brushes; the only place I'd use a textured brush this early in a painting would be clouds/mist/sky, or maybe foliage, but generally I find that it's best to stick to a plain brush for the initial painting, or things quickly become indistinct and smudgy.)
Back to top Go down
Zamorack

Zamorack

Art Gallery : http://the-paige-meister.deviantart.com/

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Working on the head of Shiva's dragon form for a reference.
The reason that there are no regular old scales is because over 70% of her body is made from plate scales and "bio-metal" (might flesh the workings of bio-metal and how Shiva developed it later, just to get it off my chest and into the world), with the rest being wing membrane.

Hopefully will be done soon!

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 DargonaxHeads
Back to top Go down
TopSpinTheFuzzy

TopSpinTheFuzzy

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 2:41 am

So today I tried doing something a bit different for me.

I did two very quick, rough images. Sort of concept work for my comic thinger?
One's a scene and the other is just an environment. Which I never do ever.

Be gentle. <3

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Lab2

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Mine1
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 pm

looks interesting :U

(...is 'be gentle' a comment on the pictures, or a request for gentle crits? this isn't normally a crit topic, unless someone specifically asks for advice on a WIP :> )
Back to top Go down
TopSpinTheFuzzy

TopSpinTheFuzzy

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 4:37 pm

(HOW DID I NEVER SEE YOUR MESSAGE, it was an invitation for critique :3)

BUT ANYWAY.

Idunno what I'm doing with this yet, but it's neat:
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Idunnoyet
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 1:50 am

hmm, maybe we should make a dedicated crits topic, if that's going to be something a lot of people want... it'd definitely help avoid confusion anyway.

soooo I finally got pchat/oekaki to work again!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 1503
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 1501
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Tumblr_mrx0ojLpVL1rcsmslo1_1280
(first two were done at Craic Oekaki, while the tablet pressures were still broken; the third was done at Niko's Paintchat.)
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Art Gallery : Deviantart Gallery | Webcomic

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 3:40 am

A dedicated crits topic could be cool! Seems like a good idea to me, anyway :U

Here's a thing I've been idly poking, it doesn't really feel done to me yet:

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Tumblr_ms8afmIRR21qhr58bo1_1280

It needs.... something. More shading, I think. And less awful colours.
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 6:57 am

Yeah, the area around the cheek/jawline could use more definition; right now it's a bit flat.

More oekaki!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Tumblr_ms7zl38u3v1rcsmslo1_500
(This character belongs to someone else on the board; they were posting lots of art of her and I liked her palette a lot. xD )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SS4A :: Discussion :: Art Central-
Jump to: