SS4A
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for artists to hang out.

HomeHome  About Us  Rules  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Update on status of SS4A.
What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? Emptyby Kynale Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:01 pm

» Secret Santa Exchange 2015
What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? Emptyby Selini Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 am

» 3 More Days!
What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? Emptyby Kynale Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:44 pm

» Monthly Art Challenges!
What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? Emptyby Kynale Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:52 am

» Secret Santa Participants 2015 (Post here to be added!)
What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? Emptyby SpiffyChicken Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:52 pm

» Random Images
What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? Emptyby sky665 Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:56 pm

What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
thewishbunny

thewishbunny

Art Gallery : thewishbunny.deviantart.com
thewishbunny.tumblr.com

What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? Empty
PostSubject: What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise?   What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 12:27 am

I'm always curious to hear what other people aspire to do/become. Sharing our ideas and our paths is a great way to encourage and support each other.

Any aspirations, hopes for the future, dreams, goals, etc. that anyone would like to share?

I'll share one aspect that I'm working on right now. I'm aspiring to get into an art school. But it's alllll the way on the other side of the U.S. Woosh scary. So that means moving out and finally getting started on my higher art education. The process to apply is also so stressful (like any other school). Hopefully there, I can fulfill another one of my goals--learning all kinds of book binds and book arts. XD

Feel free to ask each other questions and such about what influenced them to make this dream/goal. If you would not like any questions, please state so in your post so we can be considerate of it.
Back to top Go down
sky665

sky665

Art Gallery : DA
Tumblr
Webcomics

PostSubject: Re: What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise?   What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Oooh! What's this specific art school got over there that's got you aiming for it wishbunny?

For me, my biggest art career dream goal has been to get a storyboarding job at an animation studios someday. But I'm not suuure about it so much anymore XD I'd still looove to but, I've been having bad experience with college and trying to art classes and how do you do it even and blaah!
(Right now though I've actually found and taking an online storyboarding class. From a teacher who's actually a storyboard artist right now working for dreamworks. It's getting me all encourage and inspired again a bit!)

But for now, I'm pretty content with my webcomic making being my aspiring goal of finishing and sharing them all! ouo

Back to top Go down
thewishbunny

thewishbunny

thewishbunny.tumblr.com

PostSubject: Re: What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise?   What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 11:53 pm

I'm trying to get into Savannah College of Art and Design. OUOb

In terms of jump starting a career, I always say education is the best way to do it. At SCAD and other art schools they have Storyboarding as majors or minors. That would definitely be great practice and such for such career aspirations.
However, working on your own works just as fine. It isn't necessarily as fast or as pushing when it comes to learning the techniques, but there are plenty of self-taught artists/professionals out there. People work differently. Some like to get things done on their own and that’s perfectly fine.

Storyboarding is an exceptional art career to get into! Comics/Webcomics are somewhat different but in terms of narratives, I think you're going on the right path. Especially if you're content with what you're doing!
Oh where are you taking your online classes? O: That sounds like a good thing to do when you have the time for it!
Back to top Go down
sky665

sky665

Tumblr
Webcomics

PostSubject: Re: What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise?   What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 4:26 am

Oh yes, boy I'd love to go to an art college man. Been wanting to since high school days! Problem is they're all private colleges and thus majorly too expensive for me. And all I can seem to get from financial aids is loans and having a huge student loan is something I've been trying to avoooid.

But thankfully I'm starting to find lots more online classes!

The one I'm currently taking is with Rad Sechrist over here:
http://radhowtoschool.com/class-schedule/

And once I've finished with this and get more time for another class, I want to try some from these other two sites I've found!
http://2d.cgmasteracademy.com/
http://workshops.cgsociety.org/

The best part is how AFFORDABLE they are in comparison to art colleges man haha. I'm so glad I found them! I do want to maybe try classes from schoolism.com too someday but they're a bit more on the pricey side. (Still like 2k cheaper per class in comparison to the art colleges though heh! Even cheaper if you take their self taught classes)
Back to top Go down
thewishbunny

thewishbunny

thewishbunny.tumblr.com

PostSubject: Re: What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise?   What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 6:08 am

OH definitely. OAO Art school is super expensive, so I'm hoping to get a million scholarships to help out. Other than that, I'll probably still take out loans (against my will ;A; but I have to).

I don't remember where you live off the top of my head but there are a lot of great State University art degrees/majors that are just as viable and if not better than an art school education. Mainly the up and coming stars from San Jose State University. They're making a splash here in California. Very competitive with the big well-known art school down in LA called Art Center. Way more affordable though. So when you do look into going back into the more traditional art scene, I'd look into State Universities too. OuOb Definitely a great alternative. Not exactly cheap, but far cheaper than art school.

The great thing about an art career (great and the stressor) is that no one gives diddly squat about the degree. All they really care about is the work you can produce. It really opens and shuts doors for people.

Wowowow, these online resources are great! I really like the look of CGMA. I've never heard of Rad Sechrist until now, but his work is pretty good. I really love online resources and tutorials--classes by artists for artists is a great idea. I totally support it. The artist gets some money while diverging a few of their little secrets ;D

I don't know how into figure drawing you are, but a really well known professor around here is Sheldon:
http://sheldonsartacademy.com
He's this really fancy professor who teaches in a lot of places but also works for the FBI in facial reconstruction (if you didn't know that means he redraws faces from the way the skull or partial face looks) OAO
Back to top Go down
sky665

sky665

Tumblr
Webcomics

PostSubject: Re: What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise?   What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Ooh yes! Actually my friend's aunt recommended me to Sheldon before too, since her son has taken classes with him! But that's cause they LIVE in that area I was just visiting haha. I live in the bay area by SF so LA is toooo far to take classes! UnU
(I do have some sites of classes near there tooo though in case I ever wind up down there someday somehow XD)
http://conceptdesignacad.com/class-schedule/
http://www.theanimationacademy.com/schedule/schedule-and-fees

And uggghh yesss San Jose UnU! That's the only one I DO and have been TRYING to get into! ...Twice now! I tried last fall and the fall before that. First I didn't have enough credits I guess, and then the second time I didn't realize just HOW crazy competitive their majoring for animation program is to get into! UnU (I needed to have a 4.0 for that without realizing it I guess) AND according to my friend who IS at least already in the school - if I were to go in under a diff major first and try to change it later - thats ANOTHER extreme waiting game XD;;; ))
And they're always closed for Spring so I'd have to wait again for this NEXT fall 2013 if I want to try again but.. ugh XD;

Now I think I'm maybe just going to get an AA in Arts from the JC I've been taking classes in and just try those online ones instead!

Because honestly like you said, it really IS just about being able to take good classes rather than getting that major. Companies only look at your portfolios not your degrees and where you came from X3
Back to top Go down
thewishbunny

thewishbunny

thewishbunny.tumblr.com

PostSubject: Re: What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise?   What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 4:22 am

SERIOUSLY? O_O
I live in Union City. You are for reals just a Bart ride away? LOL.

YEAH. Actually, ugh, sob story about SJSU coming at you.
Last year I applied to SJSU and I got accepted as a transfer. HOWEVER, later they went back and counted my credits and I was missing 5 :U
I miscalculated, they miscalculated. BLEEPITY BLEEPS.
So my entrance was revoked OAO;;
BUT NO, really it is a very competitive school to get into.
I've done a ton of research and one of my best friends has been in the program (this is her third year). If you need any info on transfers :U I'm your gal.
A basic run down though:
Transfers that want to be in the Animation/Illustration major must have a GPA of 3.85 or higher. (Reason why I'm not going to bother applying this year, my GPA will be a 3.8 by the end of this year. I slacked off the past semester. O_O;;;)
Which is extremely funny because other majors like Engineering and Physics doesn't need nearly as high a GPA. Thanks Dean, you're fricken awesome -n-;

If you have a chance, SJSU is definitely a good choice :U
Apps are being sent out now (October) for Fall 2013 though aren't they? And they end in November? I haven't checked because I have no chance this year. If I ended up taking 32 more units in JC I would be able to get up to a 3.89 but honestly O_o;;; two years is a long time to wait for an education and my family isn't super supportive of my artistic career endeavors in the first place.

My choice to go to SCAD was deeply influenced by my revoked acceptance from SJSU and my dumb mistake. But I'm taking it as an opportunity to learn at an art school--even if it's clear across the country.

I was also considering doing Sheldon's figure drawing boot camp in LA. But LA is so far for that week of death awesome figure drawing opportunity :U

If you do have a chance. Art Center in LA has been one of the most prestigious schools around. If you gather up a super awesome portfolio you may land yourself a full-ride or a partial scholarship which may make that art school education a reality. OUO
I was thinking about Art Center too, but they're very competitive about scholarships. I wouldn't be able to attend without one so that was a lost cause.
Back to top Go down
sky665

sky665

Tumblr
Webcomics

PostSubject: Re: What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise?   What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 6:25 am

Uggghh yeah man. San Jose seems like such a hassle now.. XD Not sure about it no mores, no sure hahah.

But oh wow! High five for bay area representatives uniting! XD You even know what BART is, amazing!
Back to top Go down
thewishbunny

thewishbunny

thewishbunny.tumblr.com

PostSubject: Re: What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise?   What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Psh. I live rightttt next to BART XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise?   What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are your aspirations, artistic or otherwise?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SS4A :: Discussion :: General Chat-
Jump to: