SS4A
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for artists to hang out.

HomeHome  About Us  Rules  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Update on status of SS4A.
Artslam, anyone? Emptyby Kynale Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:01 pm

» Secret Santa Exchange 2015
Artslam, anyone? Emptyby Selini Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 am

» 3 More Days!
Artslam, anyone? Emptyby Kynale Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:44 pm

» Monthly Art Challenges!
Artslam, anyone? Emptyby Kynale Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:52 am

» Secret Santa Participants 2015 (Post here to be added!)
Artslam, anyone? Emptyby SpiffyChicken Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:52 pm

» Random Images
Artslam, anyone? Emptyby sky665 Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Artslam, anyone?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Duskglass

Duskglass

Art Gallery : tumblr artblog

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyWed May 28, 2014 10:32 pm

Thought this might interest some of our members here, since a lot of us have stories in development (and maybe need a little extra motivation to work on them).

artslam wrote:
ArtSlam is a community geared toward character and concept generation. Every summer from June 1 - August 31, artists of every skill level come together to create concepts, share their ideas and provide feedback to one another.

The idea is to draw and expand on concepts every day. Whether it's an artist doing a drawing a day for three months or another who draws when they can, a little here and there, for one month - all are welcomed and encouraged.

Our community loves creativity, artistic exploration and challenging artists to go beyond their comfort zone and grow.

Sign ups are here for the tumblr version, or here for livejournal, and they're open through the end of may. You can participate for only one or two months if three is too big a commitment-- the great thing about this is you can choose your own challenge and work on whatever interests you most, while fitting with your current abilities and workload (your challenge could be as simple as 'draw every day' or 'work on anatomy' if that's what you need most).

Anyone else doing this? I'll be participating in the tumblr version, doing concept art (and possibly short comics) for my dragon girl story. :>
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Art Gallery : Deviantart Gallery | Webcomic

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyThu May 29, 2014 2:27 am

I am doing it! Month 1 will be concept art for an upcoming story that isnt yet posted anywhere Cool
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyThu May 29, 2014 7:53 am

yessssss 8)

also, I just found a post confirming that applications will reopen towards the end of june!
(I'm aware that I posted this kind of on short notice as there's only a couple days left until the current application round closes, but if you miss the june signups you'll still be able to enter for the july/august rounds.)
Back to top Go down
Selini

Selini

Art Gallery : dA, tumblr

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptySun Jun 01, 2014 9:40 pm

This looks really cool! I'd like to try and go for the next one, if I can. c=
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Art Slaaaam! I posted my first doohickey Very Happy

Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n6jt6av5Ey1qhr58bo1_500

(Seriously though if anyone has any suggestions for how I should approach colouring it-- minimalist? Watercoloury washes? Cel-shading, flat-colouring? Soft-shaded airbrushing? Monotone/muted palette or garish, eye-searing 70s colours? .....please halp)
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 11:56 pm

ooo do watercoloury washes! pretty sure I already said so but the stark black inks would look really great with loose washes in a limited palette. :> (also more muted colours, but watercolour sort of does that by default.)

anyway here's mine--
day 1:
day 2:

Last edited by Duskglass on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Heee I love the hair on that Day 1 pic! Are you planning on finishing it? (If you are, maybe look into the placement of that one tentacle on the front of the creature holding dragon girl, whose placement is roughly analogous to...... uh..... anyway)

The composition is gorgeous and I hope you get some coloured work up of these guys :U

.....As for mine, I'm afraid to colour it traditionally ;A; Specially since my sketchbook's paper is not super great for watercolour. I could try markering it, though; I have a lot of pale neutrals and I've had people mistake my markers for watercolours, so maybe I can get similar effects with them...

(I did make a couple more pictures; one sketch, and some loosely watercoloured character sketches. I don't have a scanner or internet at home at the moment so there'll be a gap in updates until I can get those things, but I'll try to finish stuff regardless)
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 9:44 pm

fffffFFFFFFFFFFF well THAT WASN'T MEANT TO BE THE FRONT but yeah ok I see what you mean. (I replaced the file <_< >_> )
but yes I am planning to paint it :> I did it on nice bristol and everything.

I dunno, I think your markers look like markers. And markers aren't usually good for big loose washes... (I'd say try to replicate it digitally but when you did that with the other one you overused blendmodes so I'm not sure that's a good idea.)
...but man, why suggest watercolour as an option if you'd already decided not to use them? :T
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 11:38 am

Yeeees much better. You should paint it now!

So I ended up markering the thing. I'll scan and upload it... um... when I get a scanner and a working internet connection at home. Soon!

I could still try doing big loose washes digitally, if I committed to that as my idea; unfortunately my sketchbook paper is pretty awful for watercolour. :C I could try to do some future pieces on better paper...
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 11:58 am

I'm looking forward to painting it :>

oh yeah here's my day 3
Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n6mya5QdEo1rcsmslo1_1280
Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n6mya5QdEo1rcsmslo2_1280
some shadow-kings
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 12:22 pm

Aaaaaa shadow king * 3* Looks really cool!
Back to top Go down
Selini

Selini

Art Gallery : dA, tumblr

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 6:24 pm

Whoaa really awesome, you guys!
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyThu Jun 05, 2014 7:19 pm

Day twwoooooo

Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n6pc0upxtK1qhr58bo1_1280
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 4:32 pm

whoops I have a ton of unposted stuff
here's day 8-10
Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n6wurziyee1rcsmslo2_1280
Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n6wurziyee1rcsmslo1_1280
Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n6yvhipBVh1rcsmslo1_1280

and day 4-7
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:06 pm

The landscapes look really cool *3* I really like the spooky jungle! And the effect of her hair being the only point of warmth in the otherwise cool palette of that third pic is great, really draws focus to her and gives her an ethereal, supernatural sort of vibe.

Here are a couple more of my Artslam things:

Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n6rbbgVjwC1qhr58bo1_500

Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n6rbrwe6gs1qhr58bo1_500
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 6:47 pm

first the nicer stuff

day 12:Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n720nj7Qn91rcsmslo3_r1_1280

day 14-15:Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n78mbq9Pxy1rcsmslo2_1280

day 16-18:Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n7dnquHGEG1rcsmslo1_1280Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n7dliesxNx1rcsmslo1_1280

and here's the sketches for days 11, 13, 15, and 16-18.

I should remember to post more often so I don't end up dumping like this :T
Back to top Go down
Kynale

Art Gallery : DeviantArt

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 9:56 pm

I don't mind the art dumps; It's so cool to look through all of them. Very nice stuff, Dusk and Varethane! Actually really inspiring to look at. x3 And thanks for sharing this community, fantastic idea, seems like it'd be a great motivator!
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 1:01 pm

Woo! For the record, Artslam is opening up for applications for the July round right now :U So if anyone wants to join in, now's the time!

Here's some more stuff from the new story (tentatively known as 'Spacedragons'):

Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n78zp4Rqiz1qhr58bo1_500

Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n7aywvnXUm1qhr58bo1_500

Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n5pi5bpaOF1qhr58bo1_r2_500
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 10:54 pm

I'm continuing mine for july-- anyone else signed on?

and here's my backlog again

19-20:
Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n7i5xioaix1rcsmslo1_1280

22-24:
Spoiler:

28-30:
Artslam, anyone? Ml003
Artslam, anyone? Tumblr_n82xrcumS41rcsmslo1_500

25-26: this sketchcomic
31-32: comic thumbnails

and artslam has a 'fanart fridays' tradition which I did for days 21 and 27.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Artslam, anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Artslam, anyone?   Artslam, anyone? Empty

Back to top Go down

Artslam, anyone?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SS4A :: Discussion :: Art Central-
Jump to: