SS4A
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for artists to hang out.

HomeHome  About Us  Rules  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Update on status of SS4A.
Artist Questionnaire Emptyby Kynale Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:01 pm

» Secret Santa Exchange 2015
Artist Questionnaire Emptyby Selini Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 am

» 3 More Days!
Artist Questionnaire Emptyby Kynale Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:44 pm

» Monthly Art Challenges!
Artist Questionnaire Emptyby Kynale Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:52 am

» Secret Santa Participants 2015 (Post here to be added!)
Artist Questionnaire Emptyby SpiffyChicken Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:52 pm

» Random Images
Artist Questionnaire Emptyby sky665 Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Artist Questionnaire

Go down 
+4
sky665
Mashimizu
Kynale
Selini
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Selini

Selini

Art Gallery : dA, tumblr

Artist Questionnaire Empty
PostSubject: Artist Questionnaire   Artist Questionnaire EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am

Welcome to the Artist Questionnaire. Just a friendly little survey so that we can all get to know each other and our artistic habits. Not sure if this will be a recurring thing yet, but I guess we'll see how it goes. Of course, anyone else is free to make their own questionnaire like this if you ever get the itch to do one. =D

Rules:
  • Copy and paste the questions and add in your answers below each question.
  • If a question doesn't apply, you can leave it blank. You don't have to answer every one.
  • Feel free to go into detail!

Getting To Know You
===============================================================

1. What is art to you? A hobby, or something more? Do you, or are you looking to work in an art-related field?

2. How long have you been drawing? What got you started?

3. Are you a left-handed or right-handed artist? Or possibly ambidextrous (can use both hands)?

4. When you begin a drawing, what do you start with? (Basic shapes? Outlines? Other?)

5. Do you prefer CG or traditional?

6. On average, how long does it take for you to complete a finished work?

7. Does it bother you when people watch you draw? Do you often stream?

8. Do you prefer working in silence or can you work with external noise (TV, music, etc.)?

9. What do you use to draw with? Share your tools of the trade?

10. What's the best art advice you have ever been given (or stumbled upon)? What advice would you give to beginners?

===============================================================

Have fun!
Also, I'd appreciate any feedback. c= Whether or not this should be a regular thing or just ideas for questions. ^^
Back to top Go down
Kynale

Art Gallery : DeviantArt

PostSubject: Re: Artist Questionnaire   Artist Questionnaire EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 am

Yay so happy to see this back. x3

1. What is art to you? A hobby, or something more? Do you, or are you looking to work in an art-related field?
I'm probably one of the few people here who will answer in this way, but art is just a hobby to me and I don't think I would be interested in an art-related career. Writing and storytelling is probably my number one passion, and part of the reason I wanted to learn to draw is so I could draw the characters from my stories. But I just love art in general, even if it is not a career thing for me.

Not including as a kid since I assume everybody did, the first time I seriously got into drawing was around the time Pokémon came out I think, and I wanted to draw them and make up my own so badly. XD That's the first time I actually showed off my art to others on the internet.

3. Are you a left-handed or right-handed artist? Or possibly ambidextrous (can use both hands)?
I'm right-handed. My left hand is pretty much useless.

4. When you begin a drawing, what do you start with? (Basic shapes? Outlines? Other?)
A rough outline of the overall form usually.

I've done more CG stuff, but recently I have been getting into traditional. Watercolours in particular are so calming for me. I'd say overall I like them about equally.

This really depends on the work; I'm all over the place with this one. There are pieces I have finished in an hour or two, and others that I have spent weeks working on.

Yes, it does. Maybe one day I'll get over this. But I can't draw if others are watching. Sad

8. Do you prefer working in silence or can you work with external noise (TV, music, etc.)?
I like to listen to music while I draw. Lately I have been listening to audiobooks as well. But music is definitely my favourite to have when drawing because it serves as an inspiration as well.

Digitally, I use Photoshop CS5 most of the time. Traditionally, I don't have any specific brands or anything... at the moment I use pencils, watercolours, and that's about it.

Great questionnaire! I already gave my feedback to you, but I'm curious what others have to say. n.n
Back to top Go down
Selini

Selini

PostSubject: Re: Artist Questionnaire   Artist Questionnaire EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 2:35 am

Nice to see your answers, Ky. ^^ I look forward to seeing others too.

It's just something that I love to do. c= Been doing it for as long as I can remember. I am sort of in an art-related field. Doing freelance design stuff for now, but hoping to do something more stable in the future. ^^

Well... XD Literally, I've been drawing since I was a kid. I used to write and illustrate my own series of children's books. But I started to become more serious about it and taking classes when I was in middle school or so (when I got influenced by other artists and by anime XD). So maybe over 10 years now.

I am right-handed, but I wish I was left-handed so that I can be more connected to the creative part of the brain. T-T

I start with basic forms if I'm doing the full figure. But if it's just the face, I usually like to begin with the eyes. Sometimes I find I can't draw properly unless I do. Probably because it's easier for me to center everything else around them.

I really like both, but I think I lean more towards traditional since I've been doing things that way longer. I want to get better with CG though.

Hm. If I'm doing a character drawing it usually takes me a couple days (if I keep with it and don't get distracted, otl). But more complex pieces with backgrounds and such might take me weeks. >< I also have a habit of leaving a drawing unfinished and coming back to it weeks/months later. Something I'm trying to break.

Sometimes I get a little self-conscious, because I feel like I draw and erase a lot, but I don't really mind. ^^ I've never streamed before, but I'd like to try it sometime. XD

I can do both, but mostly I like having music to work with to give me that extra boost. I love listening to upbeat sounds, or songs that relate to what I'm drawing. Like a song that reminds me of a character while I'm drawing that character. Any other noise I usually tune out.

I use pencils, mechanical pencils (Papermate Clearpoint are my favs), Copic Multiliners or Sakura Micron if I'm inking, and then Photoshop CS3 for coloring. Also the basic Wacom Bamboo Tablet.

10. What's the best art advice you have ever been given (or stumbled upon)? What advice would you give to beginners?

I'll stick to what I always say, "It's okay to make mistakes". I can be quite the perfectionist sometimes, and I'm still learning that things don't always turn out perfect the first time, so it's important to try again and not get discouraged. And to beginners, I'd say the same thing, and to practice practice practice. Also it's important to observe and draw from real life.

Back to top Go down
Mashimizu

Mashimizu

Art Gallery : deviant|tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Artist Questionnaire   Artist Questionnaire EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 8:40 pm

I had a degree in art but didn't particularly plan to draw for a living, I have no confidence and like looking as much as drawing. I just started grad school to get my masters degree in art education and teaching certificate so I can teach art instead. I still haven't decided what age I'd like to teach but I should be k-12 certified.

I really started in high school. I don't know how I started.

Right-handed.

I'm more of the basic shaped type.

CG.

It depends on the complexity. Usually at least a couple hours for colored work, the longest I've spent on something so far was about 40 hours.

It depends on what I am drawing and how intently they are staring. I hate when they stand right behind my shoulder and breath on me.

I like background sounds but silence is ok too.

I upgraded to a cintiq recently. I have the older version of photoshop since I can't afford to upgrade after buying the cintiq.

Studying technical drawing is actually pretty helpful and you shouldn't be afraid of using references. More artists than you think use them.
Back to top Go down
sky665

sky665

Art Gallery : DA
Tumblr
Webcomics

PostSubject: Re: Artist Questionnaire   Artist Questionnaire EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 9:03 pm

Art is my life! I love dreaming up stories and characters, and then bringing them to life. I think it's both a hobby and a career goal for me. Ideally I'd like to end up with a job that's related to the animated movie/cartoons industry. Storyboarding is what I think I'd enjoy the most, but I might be more suited for animation. (Even though it drives me crazy sometimes hehe, but I think that's just what animation does to you sometimes)

But as a hobby I just really enjoy making comics, and using art to tell stories about characters I've made up. I also enjoy drawing super cute stuff to fill my heart up with joy. Heeeh!

Siince childhoood! I think what really encouraged me was watching all the cartoons and disney movies as a kid. Trying to draw bugs bunny with a silver crayon is one of my earlier proud-of-my-arts moments hehe.

Right handed, but trying to train my left handed for when my right hand is too tired to draw anymore. I've worked it out so it's not completely useless at drawing! But when I use my left I have to draw reaaaaally sllllooow which is hard for me. Because I'm impatient and my drawing speed is too fast for my own good.

A circle. I always draw a circle out of plain habit. And then sometimes I get mad at myself cause I didn't even NEED that circle haha.

Now that CG's been here so long it's starting to look just as nice and pretty as traditional. So, it depends I can be swayed either way. But usually my preference is traditional because there's something about it that just seems more magical when it comes to life. (Although I really like when the two team up and make something even MORE amazing and gorgeous!)

From a couple of seconds to a few hours typically for just my simple illustrated drawings. I'm really too impatient for my own good sometimes and end up drawing really quick and fast though. I'll end up redrawing the same sketch at least five different times until I'm happy with it sometimes! And that's what makes it longer.

When I can seee the person yes. I've done livestreams many times though and I don't mind that, since I can't seeee the staring eyes, only know their presence hehe/

Can't staaand silence. Need music! And music only. If it's television or audio I'll end up watching that instead of drawing because I'm too easily distracted.

Mostly just Macromedia flash as of lately. This is because my tablet has been acting up, so I've been using my mouse to draw. And photoshop and mouse are just a no-go. Flash and mouse on the other hand work very well with each other! (No pen pressure required).

And then there's the good old mechanical pencil and paper.

But, mostly flash!

Some artistic advice from professionals that always rings in my head from time to time is: "Never make a line without a meaning to" Which is basically, don't just draw lines thoughtlessly. Think about this line, and how the slightest curve or length of it could really change an image.
And "If you're going to make a mistake - don't make it in the eyes" A quote from animator Glen Keane.

Whew that was fun~!

Last edited by sky665 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

Art Gallery : tumblr artblog

PostSubject: Re: Artist Questionnaire   Artist Questionnaire EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Guess I'll do this really quick (though I'm looking forward to a possible character/story-based one 8> )

I'd love to be able to make a living doing comics and illustrative commissions but I don't think that's likely. xD;; Either way, I hope to use it as supplementary income!
(side note: I also do costuming, crafts, props, theatrical makeup...... I have a pretty wide skillset! I just really love making all sorts of creative things.)

I.... have no idea how I started. Been drawing since I was a kid-- I liked to draw the people in the stories I made up. Though if you count 'starting' as the point at which one really starts wanting to expand and improve their abilities... probably around the time I discovered the internet and joined my first art site.

Ambidextrousss (I usually draw with my right out of habit, which is strange since I'm left-dominant when writing. I can draw with both though!)

when I'm doing a big illustration, usually a rough sketch or thumb of the entire composition.
if it's digital I'll lay down the base colours and some rough light effects before I start painting the figures. (sometimes I'll actually do the entire bg before touching the figures at all.... most of my big paintings were done this way.)
when refining the figure, I almost always start with the face, or whatever other part of it acts as the main focal point.
I work from general shapes and add more detail as I go but I think that's really common. xD

Depends on the picture. Some concepts work better digitally, others traditionally.
(that said, most of my art is a combination of the two, though the exact ratio varies.)

A few days, unless I get REALLY into it. I draw pretty fast.
(....the actual drawing, that is. I can noodle around with textures and layer effects endlessly.)

In person it bothers me a lot. Online, not at all. (I would love to do livestreams but my computer would crash in a heartbeat... it can barely handle a print-res painting even when Sai is the only program I'm running-- many times I have been super grateful for the safety-save feature xD;;; )

Music is good, though what I want to listen to depends on my mood and what I'm drawing. Sometimes I can't find the right music and prefer silence.
anything with a screen/image is terribly distracting, even if I'm not particularly interested in whatever is playing.

A generic .07 mechanical pencil, a calligraphy brush pen (with real bristles) for inking, markers and gouache for traditional colours. I paint digitally in Sai and like to play with textures and layer effects in Photoshop CS2. (I only recently acquired PS and have yet to get into painting with it.) I used to do a lot of rough paintings in paintchat/oekaki but they stopped working :C (my tablet is a wacom bamboo-- a lot of people seem to sneer at them because they're the smallest ones but it works just fine for me)

Draw every day; you can only learn by doing. Don't expect to be good right away and never stop trying to improve.
Also, find an artist (or a small group of artists) who you can trust to give you honest feedback/critique. (Asking the general internet rarely works.) Listen to what they say; don't get defensive or butthurt even if you disagree.
'Know the rules before you break them' is also good advice.
Back to top Go down
thewishbunny

thewishbunny

Art Gallery : thewishbunny.deviantart.com
thewishbunny.tumblr.com

PostSubject: Re: Artist Questionnaire   Artist Questionnaire EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 11:15 pm

Art is my passion in life. Whether it is painting or crafting, it is what really pulls me away from reality. If I’m playing a game or watching a movie, sometimes I come away from them feeling like I’ve just wasted my time. When I’m doing something creative and art related, I feel as if my time were well spent.

I had a time in my life where I questioned my future. It was either: go with the family and become an engineer or go against them and become some form of art major.
Currently, I’m an illustration major, but I have to transfer from my current college to a university to get the classes I desire. Either way, I’m planning to be working in an art-related field once I graduate.

I’ve been drawing since I was a child. I always forced my mom to draw me things so I could color them in or copy them. My mom told me of a story in which I threw a tantrum in the store to get my first paint set. But I never really put much effort into it until fifth grade when my friend who seemed just obsessed with drawing suddenly became my touchstone. I really wanted to match her skill. It wasn’t until eighth grade that I was more serious about my art and improving. My basic art teacher told me to “never stop drawing” and I took it to heart. However, I had a digital art teacher in high school who really pushed me to improve and realize I couldn’t live without doing something in the art field. These people shaped my life into what it is now as I strive to make my dream career come true.

I’m right handed xD;;
I can’t do bleep with my left hand.

I use forms to work out the body of whatever I’m drawing then I kind of mash in lines and connect things. I love starting with torsos first (got into a spot of trouble with my last figure instructor because she insisted on starting with the top most point first).

I don’t really have a preference. I really work CG the exact same way I work traditional. Though CG means I can delete/paint over/cut/add textures with ease. I don’t have to worry about lines showing through if I tell them not to. HOWEVER, I believe there is this great joy and frustration that comes with mistakes in traditional that are toned down when doing digital. So, I like them both.

I have this issue where I start things and don’t finish them.
But if I’m completing a piece, it can be anywhere from 20hrs to 3 days and up to 2 weeks if I have to wait for things to dry.

I get a bit bashful. I don’t really have a problem with it, but it’s a strange feeling when people start whispering at each other. “Wow, she draws hecka good” or “dang she’s really pro”. Then you look at your own art and you go, BUT THIS IS WRONG AND THIS IS UGG AND THAT THERE NEEDS—I digress.
I have a livestream account and the livestream program on my Toshiba BUT ALAS, my internet sucks and I couldn’t even stream one minute without crashing.

I can work with noise, I prefer to work with music, but headphones really get in the way when I’m working traditional. LOL. I’m pretty animated when painting.

Mmm, traditionally, I use watercolors. I have Grumbacher Academy tubes and Cotman tubes and well as a variety of pans. I am absolutely obsessed with getting more colors but I have refrained as my money depletes so quickly. For dabbling and pieces I don’t expect much out of, I use Canson XL 300gsm paper and this one other brand that I don’t remember o_o But it’s really thin and works well only with light washes. For high quality paintings, I use Arches. It’s 100% rag which means it takes in pigments and water very well while retaining the vibrancy. It also doesn’t shed fibers and takes layers upon layers upon layers of washes.
Digital, I use PS CS5 for everything. Mostly because I have a Mac and I can’t install SAI.

Just gotta practice.
Back to top Go down
Mlen

Mlen

Art Gallery : DA page (It's a bit out of date, but I am updating now)
Current examples:
Chibis: o o o
Regular: o o

PostSubject: Re: Artist Questionnaire   Artist Questionnaire EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 1:14 pm

It's my passion. Grant it, I dunno if I will be able to make a substantial living off of it, but I would be a very happy girl if that were to happen. I have a degree in graphic design and animation (media informatics) and am currently a design intern.

I was drawing since I could remember. I was always inclined to the arts; it's kinda funny... my teacher in 1st grade once told me (during a drawing exercise about what we wanted to be when we grew up ironically enough) that I should be an artist when I grow up since I was so good. Ya, I actively avoided the idea till I was in 7th grade. It was during a self portrait project using pen and ink that I decided that I wanted to do it for a living~ During the gap between, though, I was still drawing. Just not around my teachers. XDD

Left handed~ :3 Oh and don't ask me to draw with my right hand. I'm terrible at it.

Normally I start with a very rough sketch to get the pose right. For the Outline, I start with the face.

Kinda both. Although CG is technically quicker for me and has so many benefits to it *coughundobuttoncough*, I find myself drifting back to traditional a lot. There is a stronger connection between me and a pen/pencil when I draw, and sometimes there is nothing quite like the look of real watercolor, markers, and pens.

Depends, again... If I am very motivated and drawing a regular styled person on the computer with no backgrounds, it can range between 2 to 5 hours. Then there are backgrounds and effects. And then there is traditional media and distractions and work...

I'm not good enough to stream. ^_^; Also my internet connection is weak at best so it'd be annoying in the long run. In real life, though, I've gotten used to it, since most people are pretty quiet about it. If they speak up, we can strike up a conversation. Kinda comes with being an art student; the teachers are ALWAYS looming behind you... judging your every move. Twisted Evil

Kinda depends upon my mood, but normally it's either silence or music of my choice. TV and such just distract me.

Ooooh boy... Well the one I use the most is Photoshop CS4 with my Wacom Granite tablet (it's over 7 years old btw~ :3 ), digitally, and pens and Prismacolor markers, traditionally. If I could afford Copic markers, I would!
BUT I also use Illustrator, Maya, Flash, watercolors, charcoal, color pencils, paper, clay, photography, metal work, fabric, cardboard... again thank being a former art student. ^_^; You get a lot of experience in college and art clubs! <3

Um... "Always take your audience into consideration". Very designish advice, ya, but I think it also works for art. As for the worst/most confusing advice: "Your audience is stupid! Do not assume they know anything about the subject you are focusing on."
As for advice to give beginners, I suggest you 1) find an art teacher you like; s/he will be your best friend through the whole ordeal and 2) seek an art class or even drawing sessions with live models/sets. It will be frustrating at first, but it will connect you with peers, give you practice, and a general idea of the anatomy of humans/how lighting works.
Back to top Go down
Selini

Selini

PostSubject: Re: Artist Questionnaire   Artist Questionnaire EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Awesome, thanks for answering so far guys. =)

Oh cool a Leftie! And ambidextrousness. (Though I already knew Dusk was one. XD) I dunno why, but I just find that kind of thing so fascinating! 8D

I love reading about how passionate you guys are. Good luck in your pursuits. ^^

(And yeah, the "How long have you been drawing" question can mean both when you first picked up a pencil and from the time you started to care about improving and getting better. I was trying to find a way to make it sound specific, but I decided to leave it as a general question. XD)
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Art Gallery : Deviantart Gallery | Webcomic

PostSubject: Re: Artist Questionnaire   Artist Questionnaire EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:29 am

Art is MY LIIIIFE lol I work as a texture artist at an animation studio right now, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. (: I'm also still aiming to eventually get some comics in print... Finish up the webcomic I've been working on, and then embark on another one.

Since before I remember? XD I dunno... There was one moment when I was like 9 or so when I drew something other people seemed to really like, and it sort of made me think 'oh, hey, I'm good at something!', which in turn made me keep doing it. I didn't really realize that doing art for a living was possibly within reach until high school or so, though, when I started learning more about the art world and the possibilities out there.

Right-handed; my left hand can produce little more than indecipherable squiggles.

...I... actually also tend to start with a circle, like Sky. XD (And then sometimes, like, Sky, it's in the wrong part of the page and I end up just erasing it BUT ANYWAY...) Usually I make some attempt to loosely block in the rest of the basic shapes before I start doing any details; if art school taught me one thing that's served me well ever since, it's to start big and work progressively smaller; that way you can start to see glaring mistakes in the composition and anatomy of the piece before you get too far into the little details.

Neither?? I've been working more digitally lately because my job keeps me at a computer and I've become real nice and cozy with Photoshop, but I still love traditional media.

It varies a lot... sometimes, pieces just sort of click together within a couple of hours, and sometimes it takes a week's worth of working on it a bit at a time. I don't think I've ever spent more than 16 solid combined hours on a single illustration, though.

It doesn't bother me! I wouldn't mind streaming except the whole process of setting up the stream every time and announcing it in places where people will see and know to come to it seems like a hassle, when I'm not always sure if people will be around and want to watch. (Often I'm also simultaneously rping or talking on IM clients as I work, too, which would be boring for an audience to watch XD;; )

Depends? Sometimes I can just turn off my brain as I paint and I play videos beside the painting or something (been watching a lot of internet reviewers lately...), and sometimes I'll play music if I can't find anything suitable to play or I don't feel like videos. If I'm really trying to concentrate, though, I can only listen to instrumental music or none at all. Electronica is my default 'working' music.

Wacom Intuos3 and Photoshop CS5 for digital stuff (though I use Maya and Mudbox for 3d stuff and am hoping to learn ZBrush sometime in the near future)... For traditional, I like pencils and brush pens for lines, and markers for colour, though I occasionally poke stuff in acrylic paints (and when I do life drawings or studies I'll use whatever I can get my hands on).

I mentioned starting big and going small up above, and I think that advice has held me in good stead... Also thinking about the heirarchy of visual elements when it comes to illustration, with composition being the most important thing, and value structure close behind (you can screw up on the colours and the anatomy/draftsmanship, but if you screw up the composition and value structure, no amount of meticulously-rendered buttons and embroidery lace will save the image).

Dunno if it's the BEST piece of advice I've ever received, but it is something I try to think about every time I start planning a piece. (Though there is also something to be said for just doodling freely without worrying about any of those things; I've been trying to get myself to loosen up lately and doodle more, because I'd rather make one weird crappy doodle every day than wait around for inspiration for the Perfect Composition and make one really good drawing a year and nothing else. Even the crappy drawings still count as practice, or at least training my hand, and sometimes I belatedly realize that I really like them and turn them into something more. C: )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Artist Questionnaire   Artist Questionnaire Empty

Back to top Go down

Artist Questionnaire
Page 1 of 1