SS4A
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for artists to hang out.

HomeHome  About Us  Rules  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Update on status of SS4A.
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Emptyby Kynale Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:01 pm

» Secret Santa Exchange 2015
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Emptyby Selini Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 am

» 3 More Days!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Emptyby Kynale Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:44 pm

» Monthly Art Challenges!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Emptyby Kynale Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:52 am

» Secret Santa Participants 2015 (Post here to be added!)
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Emptyby SpiffyChicken Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:52 pm

» Random Images
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Emptyby sky665 Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs

Go down 
+11
coy51
Mashimizu
sky665
Mlen
thewishbunny
varethane
Duskglass
pompon-chan
aaawhyme
Selini
Kynale
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
thewishbunny

thewishbunny

Art Gallery : thewishbunny.deviantart.com
thewishbunny.tumblr.com

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 5:56 am

I'm putting up with it this time because I already went far with it XD oh well, it isn't that bad.

I loveeee the way you do wings. :U
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

Art Gallery : tumblr artblog

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 9:12 am

More progress! U:
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Tarot_wips_by_phantomteacup-d5t8cpd

I included a more zoomed-out version this time but that's still not the full height.

And I guess wings are just one of my strengths hahaha! (A lot of people seem to like that, which is good, because so do I xD )

(.....I suppose I should also mention this derp is from my comic. Annnd this art is also kind of a spoiler, WHOOPS. I just recently got really excited about some future arcs!)
Back to top Go down
Kynale

Art Gallery : DeviantArt

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 2:42 pm

Duskglass, really beautiful composition! I can't wait to see how it looks when you finish with it. Very Happy

And thewishbunny, that's really adorable. I've had that problem before too, super annoying. I usually use Dusk's solution though and just scale up and paint over.
Back to top Go down
Selini

Selini

Art Gallery : dA, tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 3:48 pm

Awesome stuff! I need to practice drawing wings more. Dx One of my WIPs is depending on it.

wishbunny, the painting is looking very nice. ^^ I can relate to accidentally making a drawing too small as well. x.x

Some more Gaia avatar sketchiness. >>
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 7:24 pm

I like the expression in the bottom one. :>
Also, you should post that WIP, Selini! I love wingsy pics. c: (And I'd be happy to try and help if you want any wing tips!)
Back to top Go down
Selini

Selini

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 7:03 pm

That expression was fun to draw. x)

And sure. ^^ Though the wings are kinda boring in this one. XD But it's this position that's been giving me trouble. @.@

Spoiler:
(He's from the story me and Ky are making. Don't mind the sketchy lines. x.x)

Mostly I'm just questioning how I drew the wings. >< I can't quite grasp the "folded in" look. Like how to draw them in an at rest position while making it look plausible. @.@ For instance, I'm stumped on how high above the head they would sit. I saw the tutorials from the other thread, and they've been helping greatly. But my mind is still trying to wrap around the skeletal structure of the wing. XD I did a whole bunch of sketches trying to get it right.

Spoiler:

I dunno. Maybe it doesn't even matter because his wings are behind him and you can even see them that much anyway. XD But it still makes me wonder... @^@

But yeah, any input would be great. ^^
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 12:44 am

I doodled this up really fast:
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Wingsy_by_phantomteacup-d5tn2jr
(and these might also help...? or I could just link to half my gallery <_< )

This is how I draw wings and it's not The Only Way, but it looks like you've got pretty similar dimensions in mind so it could be relevant/helpful. C:

I imagine the resting/folded position to bend forward slightly, the long part of the wing resting to the sides of the character's shoulders. (Because wings would be heavy; if the character has an upright posture having them go straight back would put a lot of strain on their spine and put their balance off.) In this position they appear spaced wider apart and you can see the bend.
Your wings also look a bit like they're missing their elbow joints just from the angle they're at-- the angle at which the radius/ulna segment slopes toward his shoulders and how close to each other they are where they disappear behind his back doesn't leave a lot of space for the humerus and elbow joint. (Visually I'm reading it as those joints not being there at all.)
And I'll also throw this in there; don't forget that flight pinions are rigid feathers. (I'm assuming he has realistic birdlike feathers.) I feel like the outer edge of the wing should be a single smooth, gentle curve; his wing currently seems more like a drape than rigid feathers.

As for how high above the head they sit, that depends on his posture and his mood, though a bit above the top of the head (about the height you have them) is probably good for most neutral/resting/folded positions.
Back to top Go down
Selini

Selini

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Ohhh thanks, Dusk! *o*

I see, I see. ^^ You know that's another thing that confused me too. Because I see that bird wings have this, um ligament thing I guess that gives the wing a more rounded arch at the top when folded in...

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Wingfold4_zps57e7b9a8

And I just wonder how to make that work, too. >< But I see what you mean about the spacing! And the outer edge of the wings as well, I realize they should come to a more pointed tip instead of flaring out again. Dx (Dunno why I drew them that way in the first place... Bad habit I guess.)

I shall mess with this some more. ^^ Thank you so much for the images and advice, I appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 9:43 pm

Yeah, most of my wingsy characters have more of a bat/dragon wing shape, even the feathery ones... I draw them more bony/angular. You're probably right that bird wings should have more of a curve!
Studying the skeletal and muscular structure is the best way to understand how they work, and that will prevent you from making the most common mistakes.

(looks like I already linked to this in the tutorials thread, but I'll toss it up again anyway. I don't know whether you're going for hyper-realism or more of an artistic interpretation... and for magical creatures you can probably hand-wave some of the technical challenges with winged humanoids and justify it with magickyness.)
Back to top Go down
Selini

Selini

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Oh I see. I really like that angular look. ^^
Syne is part bird, though I'm not sure how realistic to go. x.x (I'll have to talk it over with Ky) That's true, the tutorials did say that it's probably okay to take some liberties with wings since flying people are an impossible thing anyways. XD That's another good tutorial as well!
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Art Gallery : Deviantart Gallery | Webcomic

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 4:19 am

WIP~~~~

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Tumblr_mhqk994Qef1qhr58bo1_500

Gawd I love these things.
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 8:28 am

Yeah, that's the fun thing about fantasy! C: You can go pretty much anywhere you like.
(Though the one thing I always ref is feathers, to make sure I'm not drawing them on backward xD;; Willing suspension of disbelief is a funny thing... it's often the tiny details that break it, not the big general things.)
Back to top Go down
Selini

Selini

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 6:51 pm

I agree. XD The small things do indeed count.

@varethane: That is looking beautiful. And holy cow, I didn't know there were moths that big... XD
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 5:08 am

Working on this thing!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Riddlewips_by_phantomteacup-d5uvoju
(I wanted to make something but wasn't feeling particularly inspired, so I decided to dig up and rework an older piece-- I chose this pchat from October 2010!)
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 10:55 am

more of this:
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Riddlewips2_by_phantomteacup-d5v0eb6
Decided I wasn't happy with his pose so I erased half of him...
it still looks kinda funny :/
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 7:47 am

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Tumblr_mib6zwqQ6e1qhr58bo1_500

wupwupwupwup :U

[flapflapflapflapflap]
Back to top Go down
Mashimizu

Mashimizu

Art Gallery : deviant|tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 7:17 pm

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 DiIdWqZ
Both of you guys are amazing.

Teeko is going to get all dusty.
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 6:01 am

Here's a rough paint I did for a friend as a thank-you gift!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Daatura_by_phantomteacup-d5vchrm
Back to top Go down
aaawhyme

aaawhyme

Art Gallery : DA
3dBrooke
Facebook
Tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 6:35 am

here's something I'm working on. I'm having trouble with perspective but eh, and i'm not very sure if I should digital paint it, or cell shade it. any opinions/critiques would be wonderful.

I hope this is acceptable for these forums ;_;

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 8:28 am

Hm... I like the crispness of the lines here, so I'd probably say stick with cel shading.
The position of topdude's back leg seems a little questionable, and if the heads are those different-coloured circles then they're a bit large compared to the characters-- if they're meant to be in the foreground, it's not quite clear; they read like they are directly above the characters. (unless the characters are meant to be smaller than humans, in which case disregard that xD )

Personally I'm not bothered by this sort of thing... but maybe a 'mature' warning outside the spoiler tag if you're concerned?
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 3:35 am

Thing I'm workin on!Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Wiiiiip_by_phantomteacup-d5wsv93Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Wiiiiip2_by_phantomteacup-d5wwzch
It's super cropped cause it's a gift and I don't wanna spoil the surpriiiise
(Also I really love the aesthetic of Tron. In case you couldn't tell.)
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 4:07 am

cannot contain all of this excitement nngggaaaaahahhhhhhhhh

/camps out and waits

hexagons so shinyyyyyyyyyyyyy *3*
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 4:49 am

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Aziwips3_by_phantomteacup-d5xvpym
wiiiip
(this is Azi! I'm applying to a comic anthology with a story about her... perhaps I shall do a character intro thingy for her later xD )
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:45 am

aaaahhhhh she so shinyyyyy

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Tumblr_mjjawqqsiB1qhr58bo1_500

probably gonna work on this some more tonight when I get home (got held up by wanting to finish the comic last night). Might stream it......
Back to top Go down
aaawhyme

aaawhyme

Art Gallery : DA
3dBrooke
Facebook
Tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 12:58 pm

woaah, I love thatttt ^ .____. good job!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SS4A :: Discussion :: Art Central-
Jump to: