SS4A
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for artists to hang out.

HomeHome  About Us  Rules  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Update on status of SS4A.
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Emptyby Kynale Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:01 pm

» Secret Santa Exchange 2015
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Emptyby Selini Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 am

» 3 More Days!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Emptyby Kynale Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:44 pm

» Monthly Art Challenges!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Emptyby Kynale Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:52 am

» Secret Santa Participants 2015 (Post here to be added!)
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Emptyby SpiffyChicken Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:52 pm

» Random Images
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Emptyby sky665 Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs

Go down 
+11
coy51
Mashimizu
sky665
Mlen
thewishbunny
varethane
Duskglass
pompon-chan
aaawhyme
Selini
Kynale
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Duskglass

Duskglass

Art Gallery : tumblr artblog

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 2:47 am

hehehe 8)
(well, the more different techniques you experiment with, the sooner you'll hit on the one that's just right for you!)

new wip of the cuddly pic:
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Cuddlewip2_by_phantomteacup-d5na8ev
added more light effects because I wasn't happy with the palette... I don't like making art with normal lighting. xD;; (I TRIED I SWEAR)

(here's a bonus angry troll)
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Karkat_by_phantomteacup-d5n7gc9
Back to top Go down
Kynale

Art Gallery : DeviantArt

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 2:57 am

Mlen, that's a neat character! Smile Sounds like a fun project.

I've been reading through this discussion and it's interesting to me. It reminds me of a problem I've been having with my own art. Whenever I go to clean up a piece and colour it, it seems like my sketches always lose something. Er, not even just "something", but a major part of the feel of the piece. It's hard to explain. But it seems I can never recapture that feel of the original sketch in the final piece. This is one of my major frustrations and part of the reason I haven't finished a piece in forever.

I had actually been considering maybe leaving some of the sketchiness in there. But I wasn't sure how that would go over, if it would still feel like a "finished" piece or not... anyway, reading your discussion makes me tempted to actually give this a try. Maybe having super crisp clean finished work just isn't for me. x.x
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:04 am

Honestly I think super-clean art is a lot harder to pull off well. xD;; Some people can do it and make it look good but I don't see it very often... and I know it's definitely not for me either. (I've noticed that many artists actually seem to move away from that as they improve... then the challenge becomes how you manage to incorporate detail into the rougher style.)
Back to top Go down
Mashimizu

Mashimizu

Art Gallery : deviant|tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 5:01 am

Dusk- *twitch* I'm sorry but I...just love grumpy characters. I know I am supposed to be focusing on the sweet image of a child being held with the well designed characters but... *fangirls and hugs your troll* He's so cute.

I think the other piece looks great with that lighting, it fits the piece well. Interesting lighting usually works well in artwork. Plus I love cool colors so... A+

Kynale- New Kynale art? Yes please! Your art is often adorable. Just leave the sketch in there and draw on top of it/under it. Very Happy You don't have to throw anything away unless you want to. If you refine what you have enough it ceases to be a sketch and becomes a piece in its own right.
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 9:13 am

haha, understandable xD his grumpy frowny face is so fun to draw! (he's a character from homestuck, incidentally-- I forgot no one on this forum reads it and didn't say anything xD;;; )

more messing around...
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Desert_rifty_colours_by_phantomteacup-d5naqls
MAKING WIPS FASTER THAN I CAN FINISH THEM U:<
(that character is the same as the derpy firebreathing one in my icon xDD )

.......I should just do my homework already. 8'C
Back to top Go down
Mlen

Mlen

Art Gallery : DA page (It's a bit out of date, but I am updating now)
Current examples:
Chibis: o o o
Regular: o o

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 11:56 am

Mashimizu wrote:
Your art is cute Mlen. You're working on a video game project in class? That sounds interesting/fun. Sorry you're stressed.

Comes with finals, I suppose... XD

And thank you~ Yep. My major focuses on video games and digital work.
Looking at all these pretty WIPs makes me wanna experiment more~~ (Not now, but when I have more free time~)
Back to top Go down
Kynale

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Dusk: Beautiful WIPs! And yes, I suppose both methods come with their own challenges. But you make a good point.

Mashi: Aw thanks, I appreciate it. And that's probably good advice and something I will try. Smile Can't wait to actually have some time to draw again and play around. About 10 more days til my break...
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 8:56 am

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Cuddlewip3_by_phantomteacup-d5ne051
still working on this one too! I'm.... actually starting to enjoy digital painting???
(wiiiiiing poooorrrrrrn)
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Art Gallery : Deviantart Gallery | Webcomic

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 10:16 am

Unngghhhh just doodled this up for Dusk (of Tenziel):

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Tumblr_menwh4Ux8x1qhr58bo1_500
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm

heeheee I like this a lot! <3

ummm I haven't worked on/scanned anything new since the last comment... xD;;; here's an older doodle instead?
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Freeze_by_phantomteacup-d5feh9t
(dude with tail is a mad scientist inventor; lady is a witch!)
Back to top Go down
Mashimizu

Mashimizu

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 4:10 am

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Yoshitestz
Just a doodle to see if my markers are completely dead or not.

You're starting to enjoy digital painting? Welcome to the dark side Dusk. It's very warm and friendly here. I like your character designs in general. They're pretty. It makes me want to go read your stories. <3

And varethane...you're amazing. I have nothing else to add.
Back to top Go down
aaawhyme

aaawhyme

Art Gallery : DA
3dBrooke
Facebook
Tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 9:46 am

dflsjfdkl i wish i had good stuff to post up here ;_; you guys are all amazing...
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 8:33 am

noo aaawhyme, you can post anything you want! this is the 'scribbles, sketches and wips' thread, after all. xD

I'm glad you think they're interesting, mashimizu! :'> (I couldn't get into digital for the longest time because the medium just never felt right to me, but I feel like I'm finally finding a style that works for me c: )
Back to top Go down
Kynale

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Agreed, feel free to post your sketches aaawhyme! Plus I've seen you have some really nice art lately on your dA. Smile

Pretty arts everyone!
Back to top Go down
Mashimizu

Mashimizu

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 10:47 am

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 SWXWS
This is a mock-up done in photoshop. I've been painting my mother's white bench at her request and after showing her some different combinations to match the colors of the rest of the room this is what she decided on. I have the basic colors painted and just need to add the little murals.
Back to top Go down
aaawhyme

aaawhyme

3dBrooke
Facebook
Tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 8:50 am

woah Mashimizu, hardcore on the art! Sounds so professional ;_;

here's something I've been working on... I want to get better at painting ;_; I am going to colorize it after I've finished shading... I think that's how it works, yeah? Is that a good method?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Mashimizu

Mashimizu

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 11:22 am

I like that piece, it's very charming. Very Happy

Colorizing a black and white piece can end up a bit flat if you aren't careful. Creating an underpainting is a very traditional way to go about painting and it works with digital artwork as well. Smile I've never actually tried it but if you look for tutorials there are definitely some out there. What program do you use?

You also always have the option of just painting right on top of the old painting.

Here are some for photoshop:

Using colorizing: http://nortagem.deviantart.com/art/Digital-Painting-Tutorial-181414467

Painting on top with colored transparent colored layers (skip to step six since the first five are photograph manipulation): http://www.digitalimagemagazine.com/blog/featured/tutorial-the-making-of-five-chicks-named-moe/

Painting with semi-transparent layers on top of a monochromatic underpainting (this one is nice for skin I think): http://thornwolf.deviantart.com/art/Digital-Underpainting-Tutorial-85364343

with a landscape, selective coloring: http://alexiuss.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Photoshop-painting-74699956

with anime figures: http://omar-dogan.deviantart.com/art/Colouring-Tutorial-72826280

showing colorized skin: http://jinx-star.deviantart.com/art/GRAYSCALE-COLORS-262600731

more from a sketch, stylized portrait: http://juliedillon.deviantart.com/art/Mini-Painting-Tutorial-58099272

another portrait fantasy: http://zhourules.deviantart.com/art/Hud-1-Tutorial-253544423

another portrait: http://cynicalcoffee.deviantart.com/art/Digital-Under-Painting-211086630
Back to top Go down
aaawhyme

aaawhyme

3dBrooke
Facebook
Tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 4:08 pm

Mashimizu wrote:
I like that piece, it's very charming. Very Happy

Colorizing a black and white piece can end up a bit flat if you aren't careful. Creating an underpainting is a very traditional way to go about painting and it works with digital artwork as well. Smile I've never actually tried it but if you look for tutorials there are definitely some out there. What program do you use?

You also always have the option of just painting right on top of the old painting.

Here are some for photoshop:

Using colorizing: http://nortagem.deviantart.com/art/Digital-Painting-Tutorial-181414467

Painting on top with colored transparent colored layers (skip to step six since the first five are photograph manipulation): http://www.digitalimagemagazine.com/blog/featured/tutorial-the-making-of-five-chicks-named-moe/

Painting with semi-transparent layers on top of a monochromatic underpainting (this one is nice for skin I think): http://thornwolf.deviantart.com/art/Digital-Underpainting-Tutorial-85364343

with a landscape, selective coloring: http://alexiuss.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Photoshop-painting-74699956

with anime figures: http://omar-dogan.deviantart.com/art/Colouring-Tutorial-72826280

showing colorized skin: http://jinx-star.deviantart.com/art/GRAYSCALE-COLORS-262600731

more from a sketch, stylized portrait: http://juliedillon.deviantart.com/art/Mini-Painting-Tutorial-58099272

another portrait fantasy: http://zhourules.deviantart.com/art/Hud-1-Tutorial-253544423

another portrait: http://cynicalcoffee.deviantart.com/art/Digital-Under-Painting-211086630

Oh my gosh thank you so much for all the tutorials! *____* yes I use photoshop. I'll give them a try and post what it looks like next! Smile Thank youuuu for your help!!!! <3
Back to top Go down
aaawhyme

aaawhyme

3dBrooke
Facebook
Tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 7:06 am

well, I need some advice from awesome artists

what can I do to make this picture better? - I'm currently working on making the waterfall softer, but this picture needs more umph. what should I do?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:35 am

hmmm... well, I assume you want a misty feel for the picture, so my usual solution might not apply. (I'm a big fan of strong light-and-dark contrast, especially in digital art where you can really push it.) But if you do want to experiment with a sharper light source, you can up the brightness behind the monster (colossus?) and put some sharper reflections in the water, deepen the shadows on the rocks and give them some highlights, more dynamic shading on its face and highlights on the edges of its fur, etc.

The main thing I'm noticing is that the texture on the rocks is too sharp for the softness of all the other shapes (ie, the edges of the rocks are more misty and blurred, which makes the texturing look too sharp-- the cliffs on the left side stand out to me most).

One thing to keep in mind is that human eyes naturally perceive the most detail right around the focal point-- your peripheral vision is less distinct. If your picture seems 'flat' it may be that your levels of detail are too similar across the entire image. Generally the sharpest and most detailed part of an image should be right around the focal point.

I've also discovered that it's really easy to over-render digital paintings. Some of my digital stuff looks really rough and sloppy at 100% zoom, but when you scale it down it looks fine. When I've tried to put a lot of detail in at 100%, most of it disappears in the scaled down version and just looks indistinct and stiff. But that's also partly personal preferenceI suppose.

/textwall
(hopefully something in there helps...????)
Back to top Go down
aaawhyme

aaawhyme

3dBrooke
Facebook
Tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 2:55 am

Duskglass wrote:

thank you so much for the detailed critique! I really appreciate it!

What if I add in some blur to the closer up rocks and such. d'you think that'll help the rocks blend in a bit more, and the colossus to stand out? If I add in some red tons to the colossus- people's eyes get drawn more to red, yes?

Well, either way, I'm going to continue to play around with it, thanks so much again for all the help!!
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 6:26 am

I'm a bit leery of blurs actually. I was referring to softening the texture while keeping the edges of the shapes themselves as they are, or even sharpening them a little.

I dunno about the red thing. It could be true? But you want to be careful not to break out of your palette too much unless you introduce a warmer/reddish light source. (And the colossi themselves tend to be greys and browns, muted earthy tones-- that isn't to say you should never break 'official' colour schemes, but in most cases you still want to maintain believable lighting and palette. It all depends on the intention behind the piece.)

If you want to try for a warmer palette, you could make it a sunset and push the shadows more-- light source behind the colossus so it's backlit, with the glowing eyes standing out in a shadowed face. (....honestly I'm really bad at more neutral lighting like you have here-- if I can find an excuse to make it crazy and dynamic I will. xD;;; )
Though either way, you have the brightest point of the picture right behind the colossus; don't be afraid to throw some sharper shadows in. With painting you don't have a lineart to provide definition, so highlight and shadow are a lot more important as a means of defining form. One trick you can do is to put the picture into greyscale; if it looks indistinct once you take away the colours then odds are using stronger light and shadow will help give it more 'umph'.
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Art Gallery : Deviantart Gallery | Webcomic

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 12:25 pm

How about some atmospheric perspective?
Back to top Go down
thewishbunny

thewishbunny

Art Gallery : thewishbunny.deviantart.com
thewishbunny.tumblr.com

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 4:21 am

I've been working on this forever xD
I've only been dabbling in it for a few minutes every time I remember but it's a real pain in my side because I accidentally worked realllllly small. Now when I zoom over 300% it goes super pixellated on me.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 5:32 am

I've scaled up and painted over small art on many occasions... sometimes because I made the original too small, but I've done it intentionally too!

Here's my current WIP; a submission for webcomics tarot!Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Tarot_by_phantomteacup-d5t827l
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SS4A :: Discussion :: Art Central-
Jump to: