SS4A
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for artists to hang out.

HomeHome  About Us  Rules  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» Update on status of SS4A.
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Emptyby Kynale Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:01 pm

» Secret Santa Exchange 2015
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Emptyby Selini Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 am

» 3 More Days!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Emptyby Kynale Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:44 pm

» Monthly Art Challenges!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Emptyby Kynale Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:52 am

» Secret Santa Participants 2015 (Post here to be added!)
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Emptyby SpiffyChicken Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:52 pm

» Random Images
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Emptyby sky665 Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs

Go down 
+11
coy51
Mashimizu
sky665
Mlen
thewishbunny
varethane
Duskglass
pompon-chan
aaawhyme
Selini
Kynale
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Duskglass

Duskglass

Art Gallery : tumblr artblog

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 4:45 am

Thanks Ky! C: Here's a more recent wip:
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Tumblr_mdxgii4KzQ1rcsmslo1_500
(might be the last update in a while; I need to write papers for school and Sai doesn't like the size of this file... but I'm really liking how it's coming along!)

...additionally, you can see a comparison between my first attempt at this picture and the new version here! I am so much happier with the new one... I never really liked the original painting xD;;; (did I mention that this thing is a repaint...?)
Back to top Go down
Selini

Selini

Art Gallery : dA, tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 10:39 pm

(Daaang, y'all WIPs look good. XD)

Here's some of my recent sketchiness from Gaia. Dx

Spoiler:

And a WIP-sort-of-color-test for an OC. ><

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Kynale

Art Gallery : DeviantArt

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Duskglass: Aaah it's even prettier now!

Selini: Love all your Gaia art! How do you always come up with such interesting poses? No two are ever the same, I really admire that... and Syne is coming along nicely. x3
Back to top Go down
Selini

Selini

Art Gallery : dA, tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 3:05 am

Aw, thanks, Ky. =) And... I dunno. XD I do several thumbnails of poses before I draw, I guess. ^^

And thanks about Syne. ^^ I was just messing around with his colors. Also, I used your Ptino skin palette, hehe.
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

Art Gallery : Deviantart Gallery | Webcomic

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 7:11 pm

OKAY SO awhiles back I drew this for Mlen, and then ended up hanging onto it til now.

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Mlen_OC-tugoi
Back to top Go down
Mlen

Mlen

Art Gallery : DA page (It's a bit out of date, but I am updating now)
Current examples:
Chibis: o o o
Regular: o o

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 11:43 pm

@Vare: O-Oh my~~~~ Ohmyohmyohmyohmy~~~~!
(I am SO glad I was lurking like this! <333)
THANK YOU!!!! <333 (Best Birthday Gift EVAR!)
I-I MUST REPAY YOU SOMEHOW!!! I MUST!

Everyone on this forum is so goood~~ I'm SO jealous!
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 2:11 am

Aww don't worry about that! Happy birthday! C:
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 3:59 am

been poking this thing!
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Cuddles_by_phantomteacup-d5n06qw
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Cuddlewip_by_phantomteacup-d5n09ao
(they are siblings :> )
Back to top Go down
sky665

sky665

Art Gallery : DA
Tumblr
Webcomics

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 am

Ahhh~! Precious babies! <3
Back to top Go down
Mashimizu

Mashimizu

Art Gallery : deviant|tumblr

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 4:56 am

For about half a second I was like GRAAAH I HATE YOU AND YOUR TALENT GIVE IT TO MEEEEEE. But then it passed and I was more like UFUFU and fell in love with your art instead. Everyone is so talented. I love you all your art.
Back to top Go down
Mlen

Mlen

Current examples:

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Strange of you poke a piece of paper, Dusk. :O

I completely agree with Mashi!!! >w< <33

(and Vare, I will find a way~~ bounce
You did get your other piece from the Draw the OC Above You Thread right?)
Back to top Go down
Kynale

Art Gallery : DeviantArt

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 6:27 pm

That is so freaking adorable, Duskglass. I love your character designs. <3
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 12:03 am

Mlen wrote:
Strange of you poke a piece of paper, Dusk. :O

I thought that was how it worked??

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Art_colour_small-1

Mlen wrote:
(and Vare, I will find a way~~ bounce
You did get your other piece from the Draw the OC Above You Thread right?)

I did! :D It looks great, thank you!
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 2:50 am

varethane wrote:

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Art_colour_small-1
^ isn't that what everyone does????
Back to top Go down
Mashimizu

Mashimizu

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 2:56 am

Paper? What is this paper you speak of? Is this the mythical substance I have heard of where ctrl+z and ctrl+t do not work?
Back to top Go down
Mlen

Mlen

Current examples:

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 3:03 am

varethane wrote:
I did! :D It looks great, thank you!

As long as you got it, I'm happy~~ <3

No wonder I am not as good as you guys! I've been doing it the wrong way! Time to go on a journey for paper!!! Cool
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:49 am

.....what does ctrl+t even do? xD;;;;

spoiler: even when I do digital art, I make a drawing in pencil first. (see here, which turned into this-- I literally paint right over the sketch.) I don't know what it is but it always comes out better that way... I know that a lot of people have trouble with the hand-eye co-ordination (or lack thereof) in digital? you're looking at a screen and your hand is moving around on a tablet somewhere else, which is counter-intuitive to what your brain is used to doing. But really, everyone works differently-- you need to find what works best for you. (though I'd still recommend doodling on paper in pen/pencil. do it every day for best results!)
Back to top Go down
Mashimizu

Mashimizu

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 4:29 am

Ctrl+T is free transform which is magical when adjusting sketches. It's digital voodoo. You can adjust the size and angle with a wave of your fingers of any portion of the drawing.

Your drawings do often seem to have some of the marvelous charm of pencil which I always seem to lose. Although the nice texture you added is all digital and I want to eat it too. You get used to using a tablet and barely notice the hand-eye thing after a while. I upgraded to one you draw on directly recently anyway. I think most people find hand drawn things more charming, but I get tired of my markers dying and am running out of room under my bed.
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 6:41 am

It may help that I deliberately left the pencils visible xD (with the Conor picture I decided I'd covered them too much and duplicated the pencil layer and pasted it on top of the painting-- so some of the shadows and lines in that one are in fact fresh, unaltered pencil.) I like the sketchy grubbiness of the scanned sketches; it has a sort of organic quality that no digital brush can truly emulate. I discovered sort of by accident (here; I left the pencils in out of laziness) that keeping that 'sketchy' element makes the painting seem a lot more alive.
(There is actually a SCIENCE thing going on here, having to do with how your eyes work-- a crisply rendered illustration looks 'stiff' because your eye can only perceive a small amount of detail at a time, so your brain registers a piece with detail everywhere as Wrong.)

Here I made a couple closeups of the Conor picture! (these are at 100%zoom.)
Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Brimstone_zoomhaaand_by_phantomteacup-d5n791r
^this one shows the pencil thing best; I also made one of his face.

...I'll confess I don't use tools like transform very often... perhaps I still think too much like a traditional artist xD
Back to top Go down
Mashimizu

Mashimizu

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Heh that reminds me of one of my favorite art teachers who would tell us not to get rid of any of our lines but to leave them in. His explanation was that it helps to make the drawings look more three-dimensional. Of course that was for nice messy sketches rather than your situation. I will ponder on the idea of selectively adding more detail to certain areas of a piece in order to give the eye a focal point.

I don't think you really need to use free transform since you automatically draw things to fit in the first place. XD I draw everything everywhere when I'm sketching and then make it fit later.
Back to top Go down
varethane

varethane

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Mashimizu wrote:
Heh that reminds me of one of my favorite art teachers who would tell us not to get rid of any of our lines but to leave them in. His explanation was that it helps to make the drawings look more three-dimensional. Of course that was for nice messy sketches rather than your situation. I will ponder on the idea of selectively adding more detail to certain areas of a piece in order to give the eye a focal point.

That is a really good way to get lively sketches; I had a teacher who wouldn't let us use erasers on any of our drawings, which sounded horrible at first but we got used to it quickly (I rarely use erasers anymore, except when I've inked something and need to do away with the sketch entirely; recently I've started doing my idle doodles in ballpoint pen instead of pencil, and knowing that every mistake I make is going to stay is oddly... freeing?)

It's helped a lot with my confidence when I'm putting down the lines themselves, which is cool because I do love me a nice clean, bold stroke.

(On one of my recent illustrations here, I actually did the underdrawing in red mechanical pencil and then shaded over it with regular pencil; I didn't erase a single thing during the entire process, and when I brought it into Photoshop all I did was add a single layer of colour overlay and a couple layers of texture (I didn't do a single part of the actual drawing on the computer).
Back to top Go down
Mashimizu

Mashimizu

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:23 pm

I think it's a pretty common teaching mechanism. Whatever you are doing, keep doing it, because it is obviously working for you. Confident lines are definitely a good thing.

It's strange but when I do draw on paper because of being trained that way I don't use the eraser that much now that I think of it...I use it more for blending than I do erasing. I usually draw so lightly at first it isn't necessary if that makes sense, with pencil OR pen. Plus if I draw on paper it is usually just for myself so...if I don't like the drawing it just gets a big angry face drawn on top of it. I understand what you mean by leaving mistakes being freeing. I wish I was better at drawing freely, because then I think I would draw more than I do now. Smile

And yes...you are another one who has a nice traditional feel in a lot of your work. It's lovely (if you can call a man being torn apart lovely).
Back to top Go down
Mlen

Mlen

Current examples:

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 12:32 am

I do the same thing, Vare. Kinda helps that I write my class notes in pen. It does feel freeing whenever I draw in ballpoint pen. It also helped me maintain a variety of pressures for when I color in marker and such. :3

This was part of a video game proposal for class~ It's nothing compared to everyone else's work, but considering the stress I feel right now, I say that it's a miracle I was able to do this... Sleep

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Banu
Back to top Go down
Duskglass

Duskglass

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 1:04 am

Mashimizu wrote:
I don't think you really need to use free transform since you automatically draw things to fit in the first place. XD I draw everything everywhere when I'm sketching and then make it fit later.
haha, I think this comes back to the traditional art thing? I've trained myself to not need to transform things because usually I couldn't if I wanted to xD;; (the most I'll do with digital is change the size of the whole image-- with Conor I didn't scan the sketch big enough to fit a 300dpi tabloid picture so I used the transform option with locked aspect ratios to scale it up.)
Back to top Go down
Mashimizu

Mashimizu

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 2:01 am

Your art is cute Mlen. You're working on a video game project in class? That sounds interesting/fun. Sorry you're stressed.

@Dusk- I see. Thank you for sharing your process with me I enjoy seeing how others do things so I can attempt to steal their technique.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs   Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Scribbles, sketches, and WIPs
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SS4A :: Discussion :: Art Central-
Jump to: